WE'VE MOVED!!!

Please visit us at our new forum site: https://forum.realracinusa.com!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just copied this from the DSS message board....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just copied this from the DSS message board....

    THIS IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

    Racer found guilty in speedway crash
    By KRISTEN SENZ
    Union Leader Correspondent
    Friday, Mar. 21, 2008

    NEWPORT – A Sullivan County Superior Court jury yesterday convicted a racecar driver of reckless conduct with a deadly weapon in connection with a 2006 crash at Twin State Speedway in Claremont.

    After a one-day trial and about five hours of deliberation, the jury found Robin Blake, 42, guilty of reckless conduct, a Class B felony. Blake slammed his car into the side of a car being driven by David Bly during a championship race at the Claremont track Sept. 8, 2006.

    #9658;Police: Stock car was deadly weapon


    The crash caused a riotous uproar among spectators at the race, said Claremont police officer Shawn Hallock, who was at the scene and testified during Blake's trial on Wednesday.

    "There were a couple hundred people in the pit," he said. "There was a rivalry within the families (of the two drivers) on the racing circuit."

    Blake was originally charged with an additional felony, criminal mischief, but Assistant Sullivan County Attorney Dave Park said he removed that charge from the jury's consideration on Wednesday. Park said it took longer than he had expected for the jury to return a verdict, but that he believed it was "a pretty compelling case."

    The verdict means the jury believed Blake ignored a "substantial and unjustifiable risk" that his conduct behind the wheel would result in the crash, Park said.

    Neither driver was hurt in the crash. Bly testified against Blake during the trial. Park also called to the stand eyewitness Michael Griggs of Claremont, track owner Dennis Fleury of Claremont, who also witnessed the crash, Race Director and witness Michael Parks of Charlestown, and Hallock.

    Attorney Nathan Lynch of Walpole represented Blake during the trial, but declined to comment on the case Wednesday.

    Blake faces a maximum penalty of up to seven years in prison. He also could be ordered to pay restitution and other fines. A pre-sentence investigation is under way, Park said, and a sentencing hearing will probably be scheduled within a month.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • #2
    What a discouraging story. That driver who pressed charges and testified against the other should be so ashamed of himself. I hope he is ostracized by the racing community in that area.

    How would you like to race against a guy like that? The moment he unloads his car, mine goes on the trailer and I'm heading to the next track down the road.
    Last edited by Boneman; 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM.
    sigpic

    www.Boneman85.com
    www.floridacityspeedway.homestead.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Didn't something similar happen at Volusia a few years ago in the hobby stock or street stock class? I thought a kid driver sued another driver and won. Or at least had them arrested...

      Comment


      • #4
        I have to disagree with Boneman in this particular case. Andre' posted this yesterday on this board and I went to the newspaper site and read about it. This driver took his car, raced across the infield, and intentionally hit another car, at speed, broadside in the drivers door. His intent was to cause harm and injury. This is specifically the type of case where a driver should be prosecuted. I can't imagine anyone condoning this activity. I would hope any local racetrack would do the same as that track and have the driver arrested. If the other driver had been killed, would you feel the same way? JMO
        My photo site: http://www.rewingphotos.com

        Comment


        • #5
          I am not condoning it. Remember, no one was injured.
          sigpic

          www.Boneman85.com
          www.floridacityspeedway.homestead.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Dammit Boneman now I'm retracting my nomination of you for driver of the month. Four kart wins my ass!

            Anywho, I do remember reading about this and that guy could have easily killed a couple of people in the pits. I think it's one thing to intentionally get into another driver on track but another to speed through the pits and clobber another car.
            www.FloridaSprintCarFans.com - because Florida sprint car racing needs all the help it can get...

            Comment


            • #7
              JT, the second paragraph of that story makes it sound like it didn't happen in the pits, but instead on the track during a race. If this is so, then where is the line drawn? Cars get damaged EVERY RACE night and it is often the result of aggressive actions on the part of one or more drivers. Who decides between a simple black flag and getting the law involved?

              The problem that occured in the pits with the "hundreds of spectators" is irrevelent to the actions of the drivers in the race. This story is dangerous because it got the law is getting involved with on-track racing.

              Because of a racing incident where no one got hurt, a driver is looking at 7 years in prison.

              So lets see where this leads. Putting tire marks on someones new paint job could be a felony related to property destruction. If the damage is not too bad, then you just get charged with a misdemeanor, but you have to pay a lawyer anyway.

              If someone spins out the leader on the last lap, they should get charged with inflicting mental anguish and have to pay punitive and real damages.

              Crashing someone will certainly get the law called on you, and of course the starter, track owner, GM and all the scorers will be named as accessories to the crime.

              Is this what we want?

              I repeat, the driver who pressed charges and testified against the other for a crash where no one was hurt is a disgrace and danger to this sport.

              An acceptable course of action would be for the track to dish it out if they saw fit: fines, suspensions, etc.. Remember, no one got hurt.
              Last edited by Boneman; 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM.
              sigpic

              www.Boneman85.com
              www.floridacityspeedway.homestead.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Bones

                Glad I finally got to meet you. I dont know any race people in Titusville. If you get a chance stop by my office and have a cold one. I am usually there pretty late, just look for the silver Dodge ram. Hopefully the office will be done and open soon and I can get back to racing or at least watching the races.

                Ed

                Comment


                • #9
                  this must one boring town.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hey Boneman,
                    I understand where you are coming from. This story, as it's written, is misleading and I can understand why people would say what you are. However, it's my understanding that this wasn't an on track racing accident. This driver went through the infield (don't know if pits are in the infield or not) to get at another driver that was on the track. It was flagrant and intentional. Not a racing accident. The fact that no one was hurt shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'm only reporting what spectators that were at the race reported. I didn't hear anyone that was actually there supporting the driver. Again, the story as it's written is misleading.
                    My photo site: http://www.rewingphotos.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is the first article about this:

                      Police: Stock car was deadly weapon
                      By REBECCA T. DICKSON
                      New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent
                      Thursday, Oct. 12, 2006

                      Claremont – Police arrested a Unity man Tuesday on felony charges after an officer said he intentionally crashed his race car into two others during a championship race at the Twin State Speedway.

                      Claremont Police Detective Shawn Hallock said he witnessed Robin H. Blake, 41, of Cold Pond Road, hit brothers David and Ricky Bly during the final race of the season for the Street Stock division on Sept. 8. The crashes nearly caused a riot at the track, officials said.

                      Blake, who could not be reached yesterday, is the uncle of race car driver Ryan Bell.

                      According to police, track officials met with David Bly and Ryan Bell just before the race in response to a rumor that Bell planned to crash Bly's car during the event. The two were warned to keep their personal issues off the track.

                      Hallock said yesterday the Bell/Blake families and the Bly brothers have a long history of animosity over racing styles.

                      According to court papers, track officials displayed the caution flag immediately after the first crash when Blake hit David Bly of Goshen, which did not result in charges. That flag is supposed to signal drivers to slow to 30 mph and form a single line.

                      Instead, Blake allegedly drove side-by-side with Ricky Bly of Sunapee. The two cars hit, rubbing against each other. When they reached turn four, Hallock, who was there working a detail, saw them make a sharp left turn, forcing them to spin out into the infield grass in the middle of the track.

                      Court papers say Blake revved his engine in the infield. When David Bly's car came around, Blake drove at him.

                      "David told me he could see the Blake car drive across the grass, heading straight toward his door," Hallock said in court papers. "David added that if he didn't stomp on the gas, Blake would have hit him directly in the door." Blake instead hit David Bly's car in the left rear tire area, spinning him around.

                      Before the crash, while Blake was still in the infield, Hallock was in the pit area, trying to keep Bly's team away from Blake's team.

                      After the incident, Hallock attempted to speak to Blake, but because the pit was filling with an unruly crowd, Hallock ordered Blake's team to leave. The race was stopped and Hallock had to call for backup to get the spectators under control.

                      David Bly eventually won the race and his brother, Ricky, finished second.

                      "I had never seen anything like it, ever, not even when you see NASCAR highlights," Ricky Bly said last night.

                      The police estimate the damage to David Bly's car exceeds $2,000. No one was injured.

                      Blake was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and criminal mischief. Both are felonies punishable by up to seven years in state prison. His arraignment is scheduled for Nov. 15 at Claremont District Court.

                      But the police said they plan to bring the case to the next Sullivan County Grand Jury, scheduled to convene tomorrow.

                      Ricky Bly said he wants the track to sanction Ryan Bell for next season's races.

                      Track owner Dennis Fluery could not be reached yesterday.

                      Hallock said the police were able to obtain a video of the crashes. But they are asking anyone who has photographs to contact them at 542-9538.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wow, and David Bly got hit so hard he won the race..............$2000 huh, must have been a hell of a paint job that boy scratched.
                        Normalcy is a myth. what is perfectly normal for the Cheetah, Becomes absolute chaos for the Antelope.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Damage couldnt have been too bad, he finished and won the race. Sorry, I dont think this justifies a criminal charge.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Derf, well actually it is kind of boring, but thats why I moved here. Deland was getting too busy for me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm jumping in with Boneman here - in no paragraph does it imply that anyone NOT on the track was put at risk.

                              Suspend the guy and kick him off the track? Maybe?

                              But PRISON? NO
                              http://johntenney.com
                              http://PAY-suranceHR.com
                              http://BandOfOne.org

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X