Go Back   Real Racin USA Motor Sports Forum > FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING > KARNAC's FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Super Late Model

Default Desoto Speedway - Keep these folks in your prayers today

A portion of the grandstands collapsed last night at Desoto Super Speedway, two rows from the top, on the pit side.

A few people fell, backwards, hitting portions of the metal framework as they fell to the ground. EMS came, and I personally saw them strap two people to backboards, and wheel them out. I don't know if any others were also involved. One was totally prone on the backboard, and appeared to have injuries. Another that I saw was a male who was strapped to the board, but was holding his head up. So, he didn't appear to be as bad as the other.

Please keep these folks in your prayers. I don't know which racers they were with.

Last edited by Racefan99 : 08-14-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Our track Chaplin Eric went to the hospital with them and reported that although bruised and banged up both appeared to be fine. They were going into x-ray as a precaution is what I was told as I left the track tonite.

Rick Anges -
Announcer/
Admin-KARNAC.com Message Board
rick@karnac.com
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

What a shame, for everyone involved. I hope everything works out ok for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Late Model

Tragic news. I hope for the best.
#12 Sportsman
Moderator: Karnac/RealRacinUSA
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Late Model

They're lucky compared to the collapse at the Indiana State Fairgrounds last night. Have not been to Desoto before but have been to some other tracks. Some of the grandstands are dicey at best. Hope that everyone involved makes out ok
Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator

The grandstands did not collapse. Our Track Chaplin Eric Peterman informed us before I left the track last night that everything being done at the hospital was precautionary and the two young mean involved were going to be ok. I will post more info as I recieve it.

Rick Anges -
Announcer/
Admin-KARNAC.com Message Board
rick@karnac.com
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Super Late Model

Default Okay...

...if they didn't "collapse" then what exactly happened?

Let's get some facts out before the wild stories start. You know that I know what condition the grandstands are in, Rick. IMHO I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. I've personally seen boards that were broken and split for months at a time on the pit side. Who's to say the metal supports are in any better shape after so many years?
If somebody posted that the stands had collapsed, given my own experiences and knowledge of the condition of the stands and until I heard differently from someone who was there and whose word I trust....then I definitely would believe it.

Shoot us some facts from the night. And, yes, I do know who it was that fell.

Matt
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosis Jones View Post
...if they didn't "collapse" then what exactly happened?

Let's get some facts out before the wild stories start. You know that I know what condition the grandstands are in, Rick. IMHO I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. I've personally seen boards that were broken and split for months at a time on the pit side. Who's to say the metal supports are in any better shape after so many years?
If somebody posted that the stands had collapsed, given my own experiences and knowledge of the condition of the stands and until I heard differently from someone who was there and whose word I trust....then I definitely would believe it.

Shoot us some facts from the night. And, yes, I do know who it was that fell.

Matt
I WAS THERE, and the word "COLLAPSE" is what the freaking track staff used when we were talking to him. Not my word, it was straight from the Desoto Track Staff!

Not sure what your dictionary says, but when two people are sitting in the grandstands, watching the OWM heat races, and the row they are sitting on suddenly gives way, causing them to fall to the ground, with apparent injuries........ Rick can call it whatever the heck he wants as his John-speak, but the truth is what it is.

These people weren't able to get up after they fell to the ground. The races were stopped, EMS was called, and then they strapped these people to backboards and took them away. This was something I saw, so believe what you want and trust whoever you want, I don't give a crap. But, the truth can't be altered by a bunch of know-it-all Karnicians who weren't there, posting from behind their keyboards, a PA Announcer who was on the opposite side of the track, or a Chaplain who went to the hospital after.

Last edited by Racefan99 : 08-15-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Late Model

Angry hmmmmmmm

a few years back i saw a woman walking down the pit bleachers in front of the beer stand and about 3 steps before the ground the board split in two and she fell thru. luckily she was not injured. she could have had serious leg injuries. The fact is the bleachers have been in need of repairs for a long time and if it they had been these guys probably would not have been injured.
wood rots over time and when a patron notices damage they should report it to the staff and it should be fixed before the next race. Has nothing to do with liking people or not. has to do with the safety of patrons....
Thank you!
Carol Wicks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Late Model

Default meant to say...

hope the guys who fell have a complete recovery and not hurting too bad. i know who you are and will keep you in my prayers. God bless...
also thinking of the people who died and were injured in Indiana at the Sugarland concert. what a horrid thing...
Carolwicks
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Late Model

The board that you put your feet on broke. Both of the guys stood up at the same time and the board broke. Ems did a great job until the county's ems got there. The track tries to stay on top of fixing the bad boards, but every now and then they may miss one. When a fan tells us about a safety issue, it is taken care of asap. Thank God, both people could have been hurt worst. They were both bruised, but no broken bones. Yes, I was there.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Late Model

Default Gene...

the boards should be safe for 10 people to walk on. when a race is over everyone walks down at the same time. it is sometimes hard to "see" rot as the wood can rot from the inside and not be noticeable until its too late. not sure what the answer is... just sad when it happens...
carolwicks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Late Model

Gene the grandstands have been in poor shape for years. Every time I visit DeSoto I make sure that while walking up the grandstands to spot I walk where the boards meet and sit right there too. The last time I didn't even trust that and just sat a few rows up. I pray that these people make a full recovery what a horrible way to get hurt.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Street Stock

Default re get-er-done

sounds like its time to send a couple employees with a truck and trailer to home depot .
Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Late Model

I know from the time My family started racing down there (2003 to 2006) there WERE boards that needed replacing. It's one of the last places a track will spend money. And yes we can all name other tracks where we have seen bad boards in the stands. Isn't it funny that this happened on the PIT side. Where you have to pay to be in the show.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Williamson View Post
I know from the time My family started racing down there (2003 to 2006) there WERE boards that needed replacing. It's one of the last places a track will spend money. And yes we can all name other tracks where we have seen bad boards in the stands. Isn't it funny that this happened on the PIT side. Where you have to pay to be in the show.
Now now Rick, all this negativity hurts short track racing, I'm surprised in you of all people!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman View Post
Now now Rick, all this negativity hurts short track racing, I'm surprised in you of all people!!!
Stop thinking of the tracks with your brown nosing for once and think of the 2 people that were hurt. And remember that this was preventable!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Super Late Model

Every racetrack that I have ever been to, and there have been alot, has had some bad boards at one time or another except for Bronson when it was first redone by Mike and all the boards were replaced. It just happens but I know that most all tracks do check their boards and replace them as fast as they can. No one wants anyone hurt by falling thru a board or having one break under them. Only if you have aluminum stands do you not have that problem but heck, those stands are very expensive and hard for our local tracks.

I hope the two people that were hurt will be okay and I am sure Desoto will check their boards closely to make sure they are safe because NO ONE WANTS A DRIVER OR FAN HURT BECAUSE OF ROTTEN BOARDS.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Williamson View Post
Stop thinking of the tracks with your brown nosing for once and think of the 2 people that were hurt. And remember that this was preventable!
Oh, so now I'm brown nosing. And tell me Rick, what good are you doing the two that got hurt, bad mouthing Desoto. I was one of the first to post I was sorry for ALL INVOLVED. Do you have a venditta against Desoto? Brown nosing? Desoto is 3 1/2 hrs away from me, so what do I have to gain "Brown nosing them"? I MAY go there every couple months at best. You and a few others give me crap for being negative and then come on here cutting up a track. Its kinda like I don't like a couple of your friends, am man enough to say so and you want to cut me up!! Boy, you really hurt me, HAHAHAHA. What do you have against Desoto? You want them closed? Sure sounds like it. Try being positive for a change, maybe someone will like you!! LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default Tell us Rick....

I've proposed a way to help fix the problem, what do you propose? Hanging John? Better get Rick A. to, after all he's the announcer. Maybe Dave Wasserman? He works there.What about the girl taking tickets, must be her fault too, maybe some tar & feathers for her with a sign "I was employed at Desoto when the board broke" What about when the gate broke at NSS and injured a driver, bad? Guess we should of had an execution then too. Hey, s--t happens. Every track I've been too with wooden stands, and yes racinfan that DOES include NSS, OSW, Ocala have bad boards, why? Must not be able to afford to fix them. Does the state inspect? I bet they do, guess we better go to Tallahassee and execute a few of them while we're at it right? You're Monday morning quarterbacking Rick. Grow up and suggest a solution, or are you afraid of "Brown nosing" the track??
Anyone can say all they want about everyone mentioned at Desoto but they treated me and my wife better than we ever been treated at a track in Florida, works for me! I heard horror stories but hell look on here!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default one last thing Rick W.

If you go to the top of this thread, count down 3, you'll see I beat you by a mile in saying I was sorry about this and wished the best for all involved. So whats your beaf???
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Late Model

BROWN NOSER!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Late Model

Hey EZ, the BIG RED letters are coming out, maybe its time to turn on the popcorn machine
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nerone View Post
BROWN NOSER!!!
Yeah, thats a good one Don! Tuna the Brown Noser!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Late Model

Butter on my pop corn please. the doctor said no salt..
Its time for us to go to TURN 4 and CLEAN up theTRASH.. It should be EZe to do just look for the old guys with popcorn boxs and TUNA fish smiles.
RICK i heard you went fishing and cought 2 haring and 1 smelt. No TUNA ????

thattttttt allll fokkks

don62
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Late Model

I guess i need to quit mentioning the....Popcorn Machine, it seems like everytime i do, the thread gets moved, or removed.

Last edited by Trash Inturn4 : 08-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Not it!

Trash, I don't really think thats why it was moved for a day or so. Heck, whats wrong with popcorn????
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Super Late Model

I know it's not about the POPCORN it just seems like when a thread starts to get entertaining, i reference the popcorn machine, shortly after that the thread is moved or removed, i know it has nothing to do with my reference to the popcorn machine, and that it is just coincidental. As you said...whats wrong with Popcorn LOL

Last edited by Trash Inturn4 : 08-20-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Its time for us to go to TURN 4 and CLEAN up theTRASH.. It should be EZe to do just look for the old guys with popcorn boxs and TUNA fish smiles.

thattttttt allll fokkks

don62
If you keep this up Don, your going to make me as famous as Tunaman...I love it...
Old 08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Late Model

Quote:

thattttttt allll fokkks

don62
Nope no Tuna. But I will keep trying!
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links