Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Late Model

Default Jerry Symons

Congratulations to Jerry Symons, Gene Kelly, and the entire Gene Kelly Roofing team on their win in the OWM fearure at New Smyrna Speedway
Old 10-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Super Late Model

"The Hammer" can always get it done and Gene has been a great supporter of racing for as long as I can remember... Just wish they had a good-sized field to race against... Jerry seems at his best when he has a bunch of other guys to beat!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Super Late Model

Sorry this class should be canceled hasnít had any car courts in years . Rusty needs to dump it. they average 7 cars . I would like to see him with a 602 crate motor . I bet he wouldnít be winning as many races had he ran crate mod class . Crate motor puts everybody on level playing ground he wouldnít be able to out motor people then.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Super Late Model

Symons has been around for years, works hard, and drives hard.

I have seen him win in claimer motor mods, and I think (pinto style) mini stocks.

One of the deals about serious racers is that they also somehow seem to find the money to run well.

At any rate, it ain't Symons fault he won a race. And really, although the car count is limited, I would suggest that a NSS modified event is one of the toughest to win.

All that said, it seems to me that car count ITSELF is a direct measure of whether a given set of rules is "good" or "bad".

And hold the "it's the racer's fault" stuff, please. They don't write 'em, they just deal with them.

If they suck, the track(s) need to change them. For the cheaper.

Meanwhile, like Renegade sez, congrats to Jerry & his Team.

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 10-11-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool+ View Post
Symons has been around for years, works hard, and drives hard.

I have seen him win in claimer motor mods, and I think (pinto style) mini stocks.

One of the deals about serious racers is that they also somehow seem to find the money to run well.

At any rate, it ain't Symons fault he won a race. And really, although the car count is limited, I would suggest that a NSS modified event is one of the toughest to win.

All that said, it seems to me that car count ITSELF is a direct measure of whether a given set of rules is "good" or "bad".

And hold the "it's the racer's fault" stuff, please. They don't write 'em, they just deal with them.

If they suck, the track(s) need to change them. For the cheaper.

Meanwhile, like Renegade sez, congrats to Jerry & his Team.
Either way itís time to close the door on this big motor class and go to crate motor . It hasnít grown any new cars in years . and thatís a fact !! Think about it how many cars average 7 not a loss if itís dumped . time to look towards the future . The biggest thing thatís happen to racing in the passed few year a big positive for racing is the sportsman with the crate motor the top class in Fl . Like it or not . Highest car count even on a normal race night with no 50 lapper .
Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Late Model

sounds to me like a whole lot of hating going on? jerry symons while racing ministocks kicked ass for years without gene kelly as a sponsor, he won the sara title in the limited late models, he also has won a ton of races in the sara traveling series all over florida. do you think 3/4's of the driver winning in america today could be so dominant without money. i love the crate classes but really a 350 hp crate beating a 400 plus hp car on the start down a straight away yeah i bet thats a legal motor. jerry symons over the years spent every night during the week working on his and for someone who drives somone elses car he sure takes care of and doesnt drive it like a dumbass, he respects the car and the owner
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Late Model

Nobody is hating on anybody. The fact is modified . super late ,pro lates have no car counts even for the 50 lamp races. most normal racers canít afford $10-$18,000 motor today thatís a fact. The top class in Florida right now hands-down sportsman class with crate engine even on a regular race night theyíre producing numbers. Modified class at new Smyrna has been down for years itís time to move on itís not going to grow with cars . There was a driver a couple years ago that ran modifiedĎs at new Smyrna and said the reason why he never showed up much because there was no competition what does that tell you. You bring up the sara class days most people donít even know what that is or remember it. What happen with that? The mod class has been producing 7 to 9 car average not enough time to move forward into the future . Like I said I would like to see these guys run a crate motor . And see how they do everybody on the race track all the same I guarantee you they wouldnít be winning like they had before they were a lot of great guys running crate motors in modifiedĎs fact . Like I said this has nothing to do with hating anybody just stating facts and if you canít see that then I donít know what to tell you. If you like going to the races in watching 6/9 modifiedís and have at it.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Super Late Model

"normal" racers? "regular" racenights?

I agree with the "high money low car count" thing, but I believe you are mixing that in with another, completely unrelated issue--That the current fast guys would not be strong--if not dominate--in a crate class.

Money is important, but smarts and hard work are at least as important.

I am pretty sure Dick & Wayne could win in pedal cars.

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 10-18-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 AM
Late Model

I agree money is the issue and crates are good but why in the sportsmanís you only have the same cars winning? And as far as things being expensive a sportsman at new Smyrna brand new costs 20- to 35000$ and its only going up
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Super Late Model

Obviously, you are supporting my earlier point about Symons and other winning racers.

Many, but not all, of the winning Sportsman cars have $3500 crate motors.

As mentioned, smarts and hard work make the difference, with a considerable amount of innovation thrown in. Regarding cost of complete cars, if you want to purchase all that turn-key, there is an up front expense involved, and clearly the market has indicated there are some folks who can and are willing to pony it up.

If you only want to lose a reasonable amount of money, buy a boat instead.

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 10-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links