Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Late Model

Default Restrictor Plates VS Rev Limiters

So, Daytona is coming up with it's usual lousy racing/limp throttle response.

It came to me--why don't they just use rev limiters? Plates require a ton of money to attempt to "get around". Tons of compression, probably short stroke & big bore, light bottom end parts, special heads with small ports, who knows? But it costs a boatload of money, & still produces lousy racing.

On the other hand, rev limiters require nothing, and the engine will pull right up to the limit, providing good throttle response right up to that point--and then level off.

Now, we can't have a whole field of cars rolling around Daytona going "bwap-bwap-bwap" like the short track limiters, but I have driven rentals that pull right up until they don't and there you are at 110mph or so, just rolling along. I think they retard timing or cut back fuel or both, am not sure. But I am sure the technology is already there.

Further, telemetry could provide the tower with each car's rpm, and if someone was somehow pulling more revs, instant black flag.

And it would be dead consistent from car to car. With plates, one Team can "find something", be legal, yet still faster.

Further, to Jacko's point, rev limiters could be used every week, although set to a higher rpm on non banked big tracks. Although it wouldn't entirely cut engine costs, it seems to me it would put a serious dent in the expense.

This is so simple, I feel like I must be missing something here...

Your thoughts?

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 01-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Late Model

I think one problem is you would have to specify a gear. If not, then anyone with more horsepower would just drive away. And, I you do specify a gear and an RPM limit, everyone will just drone around at the same speed. At least, that's what I think.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Late Model

Well, it would seem to me (of course, I am wrong a lot...) that it would be similar to restrictor plates--there is an optimum gear for the rpm and that is that.

The big difference I see is that they would be dead even (rather like crates with limiters) and that they would run like a bear (unlike today) right up to the limiter.

Re: Droning around? Yeah, same, same as current but the clowns won't knock down the banks or run them through the chicane, so, what ya gonna do?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Super Late Model

I wanna go back to the, "rental car at 110 MPH" thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Super Late Model

Arizona, Utah, Nevada...sometimes you can see open and straight road for miles ahead...it's a beautiful thing.
Sponsored Links