Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Super Late Model

Default Red Eye 50/50

A good night at New Smyrna! We had perfect weather, enough cars, there were fans in the stands, and overall a healthy and happy vibe. It seemed like everyone came for a good time, and most succeeded in having one.

I give two thumbs up to the 50/50 format: twin 50 lappers for SLM and Pro LM. It was better than a 200, or even a 100 lapper, because it appeared to me that no one was just riding around and counting down laps. The SLM 50 started 24 cars and featured lots of dense traffic. Yeah, some bumper action too, some sliding and wall scrapping, but that is what its all about. It was a competitive and interesting race!

Also, the track gets a tip of the hat on their ability to harness the great intangible in racing: an entertaining atmosphere! It is a subjective thing, but it seemed to me that the announcers were on their game, the racers turned it up, and the fans where I sat were into the whole thing. "Atmosphere" has been elusive in recent years, but I felt it last night, and I hope we made some new fans as a result.

Of course the other side of the coin is a pet peeve of mine that is a decade old: no soap in the bathrooms again!

Final note: Sportsman winner Patrick Thomas looked like a new man. Well done on your win Patrick, but your physical transformation was a great surprise. I hope it helps you to stay in the seat for many more years. And we got a kick out of the way you handled that clown who was heckling during our interview. You cracked us up!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Late Model

Typo...."during your interview".
Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Late Model

Glad you enjoyed, generally the racing isn't the problem but... a pic I saw showed an extremely sparse grandstand during featch line up...more folks in infield???
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Late Model

It was not SRO, but my estimate is that they had 2-3 times as many in the stands as they get for most weekly shows.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Late Model

and the speakers in turn 4 are finally working!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Super Late Model

I echo Bonemans thoughts, I was on the fence about going all day and happened to catch the pit walk thru by Ryan and decided to go after all.

GREAT DECISION!

Mod Minis and Modifieds were pretty much snoozers but Sportsman, Bombers(? the class with wreck on the frontstretch), Pro and Supers were all solid races w decent car counts.

The supers were outstanding with regard to action, there was so much going on from front to back, i literally couldnt keep up. Gus Dean was driving like a mad man with how aggressive he was being early on - numerous three wides that they pulled out of at the last second. Amazed they didnt destroy a ton of cars. There were some casualties but nothing outrageous. Super Mario Gosselin was there and got so pissed at Dean, he let Dean pass him back in an attempt to then dump him.

We left after the supers as we were freezing, but got our moneys worth with what we saw for sure.

The dude heckling Patrick was sitting like 2 people over from me and I assumed he had to know him or something with as obnoxious as he was. Patrick handled it with class and ultimately, i think the guy just wanted attention. Speaking of Patrick, i didnt recognize him when he got out - nice work man - i need whatever secret you got.

Brad May continues to impress me - could and should have dumped skinner in 3 for the win and probably had something for Moore if he had been able to get there sooner.

Atmosphere was hopping and everyone looked engaged and entertained - keep up the good work NSS. Dont let the jackwagons on FB change what you are doing, it is working. Cant help but think you made some new fans with that show in front of that crowd.

Still dont know what the heck they are going to do with the seats down in turn one, but not sure the view will be all that great from them.

Almost forgot - they announced the initial efforts of a partnership with Volusia Speedway with the Dirt latemodels running NSS one night and the Pro Trucks running VSP - there is a lot of potential for some cool things to come of that. Hell it wasnt that long ago that the two wouldn't even acknowledge each other.

Last edited by bubba : 01-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Sportsman

Default Red Eye 50/50 Done Really Really Well

What A Super Race Night...we Even Had A Rare West Wind So No Fumes In The Stands!!
Rusty Well Done Your The Man,
Just Open Up The Southside Stands,
Get Well Mr Hart!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Super Late Model

Today I saw the video of the Sportsman leader running over the lapper and taking out the top 4 or so, that was ugly.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Late Model

Lurkin--could you share the location of that video, please.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Super Late Model

It was on FB on a Florida racing page that I hadn't seen before and I should have saved the video link so I could share it but I didn't buddy, sorry.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool+ View Post
Lurkin--could you share the location of that video, please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqQYWxLd2M&t=261s
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Late Model

Thank you Ryan29 (& Lurkin for lookin').

I would say that, although frustrating for Mr. Green, on this occasion, the call was the correct one.

Congrats to Patrick Thomas on another big "W".
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Super Late Model

Anyone recognize the 77 lapped car?

I sure do...

Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Late Model

So...you were blocking...?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool+ View Post
So...you were blocking...?
lol I was laughing when I saw that car ended up at NSS a while back. I loved that car. It does NOT belong in that Sportsman division though. Vintage cars MAYBE... That car was originally built in 1991
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Super Late Model

Dude, that's you!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Late Model

He had a nice gap back to 2nd place, why didn't he just turn left and thread the needle diving into 3? I guess because he's a wrecker, not a winner.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Super Late Model

IMO, Matthew Green is a pretty fair shoe and a pretty nice guy. He doesn't hold grudges.

Further, I believe that the field was catching him anyway, and he felt pressured to be held up. In more guessing, I think he bumped into Phil, er, I mean Phil's ex-car, intending to move it up the track laterally, and it went wrong. Badly wrong.

Finally, he is quite young. I piled up quite a few when I was young, and that was on the street. Somehow it always seemed to be windshield-forward damage.

All that said, I agree with your "why didn't he wait?" statement. I would wager Mr Green does too...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Late Model

HAH! If that were me, Lurkin... I would have my tail tucked and probably never show my face here again. Use to be my car many moons ago. I've tried to reach out to the guy who bought it but he's not very talkative or friendly.

To each his own... Hopefully I will be racing at NSS in the near future though St. Augustine looks like my final destination by 2020. Wheels are in motion lol
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Late Model

Wow, you made the cut at Jacalone and Sons Auto Service?

Those remedial classes in Southern Etiquette must have put you over the top.

ps--Bronson is a pretty racy little place too.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Super Late Model

Nope, it's you and that's final, we have a nice still pic with your name on the roof that proves it. Next time turn on the back up lights?! Sucks how cars get phased out and are not competitive but can't step down.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Super Late Model

"Next time turn on the back up lights?!"--Lurkin

Now that's funny, right there.

You know it ain't Phil. He is pretty darn brave behind the wheel. He does take a joke pretty well, though.

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 01-13-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links