Go Back   Real Racin USA Motor Sports Forum > FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING > KARNAC's FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Late Model

Default a little opinion mixed with very sad news

It was reported that NASCAR hall of fame legend David Pearson passed away yesterday at the age of 83.Some very sad news indeed.Now the opinion part.I heard on the tv news more times than I can count yesterday all about the passing of Marvel comic book creator and Spider-Man creator Stan Lee.I heard about it so many times I can almost tell you what he ate at his last meal.Pearson? Nothing.Not a peep.If it wasn't for Facebook I still wouldn't know.Half of this damn country is too damn busy dreaming about being five years old again and daydream they are a comic book hero,or they cry for days if someone like Prince or Michael Jackson dies.They think they are air guitar heroes.But a guy who truly did some amazing things gets nothing.Its no wonder half of this country throws childish temper tantrums about the current president.They truly haven't grown up or live in a real world.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Late Model

But here is the upside:

By and large short track circle track racing is in it's own little time warp.

Things are much like they were in the 70's, and probably a just a little milder than the 50's in the pits.

It is our little alternate reality away from the sad every day life that you describe.

And it is largely a secret, and I am good with that.

And I agree, David Pearson was a great driver, and a man's man.

A Kyle Petty story involving interviewing Richard and David:“My next question [to Richard] is who is the best driver you ever raced against?” Kyle Petty said. “My dad said... I’m going to have to say David Pearson. David Pearson is probably the greatest race car driver that I raced against and I admired what he did.

“And so I said, David, what’s your answer? ([Pearson] said) I’d just about have to agree with Richard.”

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 11-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 PM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofor View Post
It was reported that NASCAR hall of fame legend David Pearson passed away yesterday at the age of 83.Some very sad news indeed.Now the opinion part.I heard on the tv news more times than I can count yesterday all about the passing of Marvel comic book creator and Spider-Man creator Stan Lee.I heard about it so many times I can almost tell you what he ate at his last meal.Pearson? Nothing.Not a peep.If it wasn't for Facebook I still wouldn't know.Half of this damn country is too damn busy dreaming about being five years old again and daydream they are a comic book hero,or they cry for days if someone like Prince or Michael Jackson dies.They think they are air guitar heroes.But a guy who truly did some amazing things gets nothing.Its no wonder half of this country throws childish temper tantrums about the current president.They truly haven't grown up or live in a real world.
Zero, you really summed the current world we live in very well. RIP Mr. Pearson.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool+ View Post
But here is the upside:

By and large short track circle track racing is in it's own little time warp.

Things are much like they were in the 70's, and probably a just a little milder than the 50's in the pits.

It is our little alternate reality away from the sad every day life that you describe.

And it is largely a secret, and I am good with that.

And I agree, David Pearson was a great driver, and a man's man.

A Kyle Petty story involving interviewing Richard and David:“My next question [to Richard] is who is the best driver you ever raced against?” Kyle Petty said. “My dad said... I’m going to have to say David Pearson. David Pearson is probably the greatest race car driver that I raced against and I admired what he did.

“And so I said, David, what’s your answer? ([Pearson] said) I’d just about have to agree with Richard.”
OS, I love your perspective on short track racing, I never thought of it that way, and I feel better about it now. Love that Pearson story! I have one of my own about him to follow.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Super Late Model

I remember that David had a stroke a few years ago, and he pretty much disappeared after that. I assumed he did not recover well. So sorry to hear of his passing. Back in the late 1990's, I was racing at St. Augustine & New Smyrna. I was working at my shop one weekday, and someone, I don't remember who, stopped by to tell me that they were running some kind of mini cup stock cars at the St. Augustine Speedway, and you could pay $10 a lap to drive them. Well, I headed there with a $100 bill. When I got there, I found out it was David Pearson who had brought them and was trying to start a series or something. I paid my money and got strapped in a car, and ran my 10 laps. When I came in to the pits, who leaned in my window? The "Silver Fox" himself! He said, "You were the fastest of anyone so far today." I told him I raced late models and had quite a bit of experience. We ended up sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck chatting for over half an hour. What a pleasant and humble guy he was. If you didn't know who he was you could have never guessed he had won 105 NASCAR Cup races.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Late Model

I really don't get the nationwide obsession with superheroes. Isn't that stuff for 5 year olds?

Remember when David Pearson would run late models? I saw him at Palm Beach a couple of times. Its cool when a star of his caliber would run in big regional events.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Late Model

The same people living in Stan Lees fantasy world area significant part of the empty seats at todays major tracks. They simply will not sit still for any length of time without intense action. Their time away from their hand held device is just to prescious.
Sponsored Links